Friday, November 24, 2006

Hello,

I was hoping that my first post would be an FO of my finished shawl but I've been having some trouble with the bind off. It seems so simple that I feel silly--but I've done it twice and had to frog both times. I've done: k2, return those stitches to the left needle and k2tog through the back loop, k1, over all the stitches until I've bound off down to 1 stitch. But I'm left with a straight edge, instead of a pointed one. I know that I'm reading the pattern wrong, but I can't seem to get it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want another trip to the frog pond on 300+ stitches.

4 comments:

kessa said...

Hi Arielle, did you complete the rows of *k7, yo, k1* ? Or maybe the cast off had been too tight? (In which case, use a much bigger needle and try to cast off without pulling on the yarn too much)

Arielle said...

I did do all the previous rows. Then I I K2, returned them to the left needle and knit those stitches together through the back loop, then k1. I kept doing that sequence of stitches, k2, knit those two together through the back loop, k1--over several rows until I had one stitch left. I was left with a straight edge. Are you just supposed to pin out the points from a straight edge?

Beverly said...

Yes, when you pin out the points you'll have the correct edging. It should like rippled with little dips trying to form when you bound off. These become more defined when you pin them out and block them.

kessa said...

Yep, like Beverly said, just pull the points (between the 2 YOs) out when blocking.. The YOs will adjust itselves, like the pic posted on 21t Nov.