Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sea Silk? We'll sea! (Har har)

I actually knit this last October over two weeks when I was between jobs, and I intended to give it to my Grandmother for Christmas after blocking it.
Sorry, Grandma.
I did finish the shawl (even though I took this picture before finishing the border), but I followed my usual procedure and immediately started knitting something else instead of just taking the last step and finishing the project. (Maybe I enjoy projects so much I never want them to end? Perhaps...) So, when I saw this KAL I thought I'd join it and it would induce me to finally block the dang shawl already.
This picture looks more like "Stingray Shawl" but it shows how the shawl knits up with Hand Maiden Sea Silk and size 4 needles...



As you can see, at this point I still had a lot of yarn left. I had a teeny little bit left over -- about the size of a silver dollar-- when I cast off the final stitch. If anyone is considering making this shawl with Sea Silk, one skein is exactly enough yarn for this project.

Here's a closeup of the rosebud lace:


I have read that the Sea Silk looses up quite a bit during blocking, so I am curious to see what happens. I'll post pictures. Personally, I don't think a person can ever go wrong with silk, so hopefully Grandma will have silky shoulders for Christmas this year-- finally!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Beautiful color. I'm sure it will look wonderful on your grandmother.