Sunday, January 14, 2007

Noro Kureyon for Swallowtail?

I have some Noro Kureyon that I'm thinking of using for the Swallowtail Shawl. Here's a picture:

The yarn is a worsted weight, and a mixture of wool, silk and angora. A bit rough to the hand, but beautiful. Do you think that it would work? And if not, does anyone have a suggestion for a shawl pattern for a worsted-weight yarn?


Finished and Done

She is finally blocked and ready for her debut. The size after blocking is 60" across and 28" edge to point. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It's very drapey and next to the cheek soft. This will make a nice Christmas present and may be one of my entries for the county fair this year. Despite all the frogging that went on during this project I'm sure eventually I'll knit another one.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Done, With Baby Cashmere

Yarn: Elann's Baby Cashmere (60% alpaca, 30% merino, 10% cashmere)

Amount Used: 480 yards/440 meters/3.85 oz./110 grams

Needles: KnitPicks Options Interchangeable size 7 US (4.5mm)

Pre-Block Dimensions: Length - 22", Width - 49"

Post-Block Dimensions: Length - 30", Width - 63"

Such a wonderful pattern! The nupps slowed me down, but they were very easy to do. I had to frog a couple of rows at the beginning, and I had 2 dropped stitches toward the end, involving YO's, but I was easily able to pick them up again (don't ask me how!). It took me about 10 days to complete, and I did not knit for hours at a time. I will make this pattern again, as it was very satisfying. Thanks for this KAL!
More pics on blog:

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A sort of Swallowtail

Yarn: Mountain Colors Weavers Wool, it's 3-ply and about a dk weight, 1 skein
Color: Ruby River
Notes on yarn: purchased, already wound, on ebay. I had one knot and a whole section in which a ply was broken. Not happy about that, especially since it wasn't mentioned by the seller. Bigones, it was gorgeous.
I had to alter the pattern a bit due to the yarn. It became abundantly clear about halfway through the second nupp chart that I would not have enough a LONG SHOT. So, I ripped back to the budding lace and figured -after a bit of calculating - that I could go straight from there at 199 stitches or so, to the final chart. It didn't work quite like I thought it would (there were a few more stitches around the center then I thought there should be, but I just worked them in st st and kept it symetrical). I had to cut two rows from the final chart, too. It was about 43x23 blocking, but I think it pulled in a smidge after I unpinned it. I wore it to work the next day and received many compliments and a few requests. Not bad for my first lace project.

Monday, January 08, 2007

While I was in Pemberton, I finished the Swallowtail Shawl.

This was just a joy to knit. The pattern is beautifully knitted, and it's interesting enough that you don't get bored. There were quite a few things that were new to me in this shawl. It was my first trianglular shawl, my first provisional cast-on, and my first attempt at nupps. Luckily all were relatively smooth. I will mention that it really doesn't do to drop a stitch directly above a nupp. It's not very easy to pick up and get going again!

I blocked the shawl on a grotty rug on the floor of the cabin we stayed in, and we all kept wandering by to admire the blocking transformation. I think this is easily the most impressive-looking thing I've knit.

I have gifted this to my grandmother Jessica. I don't have any photos of her wearing it - I didn't have my camera with me - but she seems to like it, and I think the color suits her well.

Cross-posted on What Katie Did.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Have You Tackled Your Nupps Today?

I have, and I am a better person for it.

Prior to seeing the Swallowtail Shawl pattern, I had never heard of a nupp. I am still not sure what it means, but I know that it is like a bobble. On the right side row, the nupp requires a YO and then knit into the same stitch 3 times. On the wrong side row, the pattern states to purl 5 together over that same spot. I thought I would have an easier go of it with my KnitPicks Options needles, which have a sharper point than my regular Addi Turbos, but that was not the case, despite the fact that I try to knit a looser gauge with lace. So, on the purl side, I just used a crochet hook and put the 5 stitches onto the hook. Then I did a YO, and pulled through all the loops on the hook. I also did another YO to close the bobble, and add a slight dimension to the height. Yes, indeed, it slows me down to a screeching halt, but it looks great, and is not at all difficult. Perhaps on my next Swallowtail I will use the sl2,p3tog, pass 2 slipped stitches over technique. I love Aran stitches, and I love bobbles. Added to the lace pattern, it gives it great character. This is an easy and fun pattern so far, although I did make some mistakes, and had to frog a couple of rows.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007


I cast on my Swallowtail just before Christmas and am just now getting to the last row of the Lily of the Valley chart 1. I'm using Posh Yarns Seraphina* (Cashmere, angora) which is lovely to work with and so far, so good...famous last words possibly. This is the colour:

I'm really looking forward to blocking this, as it's my first lace shawl and although I can see the pattern vaguely now it's on the needles, I keep wanting to stretch it out and gaze at it!

*Edited for correct yarn name. D'oh!