Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Getting started

I am loving my Swallow Tail Shawl. This is really the first substantial lace pattern I have attempted. While I am having some stupid moments *i don't understand why this row won't work out... OH i am trying to knit the wrong row...* I keep gently ripping to get back, I feel like I am accomplishing something wonderful. The yarn is Blue Sky Alpaca, which I bought years ago, before the Swallow Tail pattern graced the pages of Interweave Knits. I have intended to knit this yarn in this pattern for quite some time. I am also knitting on US 10.5's because the yarn is fairly thick, and I want a big shawl :) I also read a comment on some one else's post that stated that after the 14 repeat of the Budding Lace, 5 repeat sequences will make the Lily of the Valley charts work out correctly. Has anyone tried this and had it work successfully or unsuccessfully?
More details about this shawl's life posted on my blog.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Your shawl looks great so far - love your color choice.

Pinneguri said...

Agree, love your colour choice :) Well done, so far!

Margaret said...

Just an FYI, instead of ripping stitches out, I would back the them out (use left needle to get the wrong stiches out one stich at a time) when I make an error. It does take longer to do, but I find that by backing out the stitches I won't have extra stitches (from K2tog/SSK) or mess up the YO's. :)

Sharah said...

thanks for the suggestions... I guess I do sometimes back the stitches out instead of ripping... It depends on how far back I have to go. If i can, I rip back to a purl row, to avoid the problem entirely :)