Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Swallowtail #2 - increased size

This is my second Swallowtail Shawl. I think this is a wonderful pattern that I will knit again but not right away. I did make some changes to the pattern to increase the size of the pattern. For the "Budding Lace 2" chart section, I knitted 19 repeats instead of 14 repeats. This worked out perfectly for me. Here are some details;

Yarn: Regia Silk in Burgundy (55% Merino, 20% Silk, 25% Polymid) 220 yards; 3 skeins and 1/4 of a fourth skein
Needles: Denise Interchangeable, US size 6
Finished size after blocking: 39" depth, 79" width


I have more pictures on my blog

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic ! Can you post a pic showing the size difference between the original pattern and the larger one ? I am on the final chart of my second, and it doesn't seem that much bigger....

Frau Holda said...

That's gorgeous. Good work. I read on this blog about doing 19 Budding lace repeats following by 11 repeats of Lily of the Vally. Haven't seen any posted pics of that version but your's is lovely and seems in to have the right balance between two lace patterns.

Have you seen posted pics of other altered Swallowtails?

Aeon said...

Ooh. I just checked out this community specifically to see if anyone had done that math. Mine's already looking a little smaller than I'd like... more of a kerchief than a shawl.