Thursday, December 14, 2006

Losing my patience with lace!

I am having a mini-crisis with my shawl.

I am about 10 stitches short and have no idea why. I can only imagine that I am accidentally dropping the yarn overs on the purl row or am actually forgetting to do the yarn overs in the first place.

Thank goodness I put a lifeline in after I finished the budding lace 2 chart! I will (when I get the courage, will power and time) rip back to the lifeline and 'add' the necessary stitches in. I'm not bothered about tweaking; I'm sure I won't even be able to spot the tweaks once it's blocked.

And then I have to face the nupps!

Remind me again why I thought lace was a good idea?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried adding stitch markers for each pattern repeat? It is a little awkward because the yo and dec occur right at the marker, meaning you have to shift the marker left or right to keep it in the right place. I spent a lot of time counting the budding lace stitches to be sure I hadn't missed any, then I counted and added stitch markers. After each row, I counted all my stitches and marked with a safety pin where the stitch count was off. Then when I got to that place, I remembered to fix the mistake, usually that meant picking up the missing YO. Don't give up!

kathryn said...

I use stitch markers for each repeat too. It's the only way my brain can cope with lace.

Laura said...

Thanks for the tips - I think I will read and take heed!

Laura x

Penny said...

I hear you. I had a hard time mentally changing my tune from the pattern ... well, my issue was more within the lily of the valley charts but i understand. I often add extra stitch markers to help me out. I can't count and they help me out. There were a few places when I got to the end and was one short and just m1 and i didn't see the error after blocking. Though there was one entire messed up section of budding lace 2 that i hadn't noticed. I did a lifeline after each repeat of budding lace 2 and did one in the middle of the next two charts...

sallyg said...

I enlarged the chart and wrote out the instructions in words. It also helped to be familiar with what I was supposed to see on the previous rows. If I wasn't in the right place I could back up and fix the problem before it became imbedded in my work. Good lighting also made a huge difference!